The Darkness



Scripture: John 12:20-36
Holy Tuesday
March 31, 2015

Jesus replied, “The light is with you for only a little while.  Walk while you have the light so that darkness doesn’t overtake you.  Those who walk in the darkness don’t know where they are going.” John 12:35

Jesus shared his last meal with his disciples under the cover of night, took them to the garden to pray in darkness, was arrested and taken into custody all under the cover of night.  He was then placed into a cell, which was most likely a hole in the ground that he was lowered into, dark and isolated.  According to Luke, darkness descended upon Jerusalem at noon on the day of Jesus’ crucifixion. So much of holy week happens in the dark.

I find when the internet is down either at my home or at my office I feel like I am in the dark.  I rely so heavily upon it that is has, in a way, become an appendage for me.  It is a lifeline to the world outside of me.  When it is down I am put into a holding pattern and I end up feeling disconnected and disjointed.

We all have something that we rely upon and when it is no longer there or gone temporarily we can feel the effects of our loss.

I wonder if Jesus worried for the crowds and for his followers after he would be gone.  In the growing shadows he reminds us to walk in the light and not in the darkness.  But I am reminded in passages like this one of Psalm 139 which says “surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light around me become night, even darkness is dark to you; the night is as bright as the day, for darkness is as light to you.”

Blessing:  Let your light shine in a dark world.  May your light illumine paths for others and may God bless you as you go and serve Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace