Seeking



Scripture Luke 15:1-3, 11-32
March 7, 2015

“We must celebrate with feasting because this son of mine was dead and has come back to life!  He was lost and is found!” Luke 15:22b-23a

This is one of my favorite passages of scripture.  It is deep, multi layered, rich in meaning.  It is in many ways timeless.  We all on some level can relate to complex family dynamics.

On my birthday this year my kids gave me a card that said something like this, “I know that running away seemed like a good thing to do from time to time” on the front and then when you open it, it says “we’re glad you never did!”

Running away, escaping from our current reality at times can seem like the best option we have in front of us.  No one likes being pushed into a corner and feeling like they don’t have an escape route.

The passage reminds us that God is always seeking for us.  Not just when run away and do the things we know we shouldn’t (like the younger son did) but God is also seeking for us when we stay and allow our hearts to be hardened and we feel entitled to what we have (like the older son did).

God never stops seeking for us.  God never stops inviting us in.

Prayer:  Thank you God for never giving up on me even when I have gone well beyond the places where I could feel your presence.  Forgive me when I have not extended your grace to those who I believed didn’t deserve it, for your grace and mercy are wider than the farthest reaches of the ocean.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Those who walk in darkness