In or Out



Scripture: John 11:47-56
March 28, 2015

Therefore, Jesus was no longer active in public ministry among the Jewish leaders.  Instead, he left Jerusalem and went to a place near the wilderness, to a city called Ephraim, where he stayed with his disciples. John 11:54

Even before Holy Week begins the tension builds.  We know through the gospel writers that there were many that questioned what Jesus said and his actions.
It is so easy however to jump to conclusions about why the religious insiders wanted to silence Jesus.  As a people living under oppression conditions by a government that occupied their country, it is hard to imagine the amount of tension that existed in trying to keep the peace and not bring about too much attention to their somewhat limited ability to worship God.

What I prefer to focus on when reading passages is “what areas in my life do I resist the teachings of Jesus?”  When do I think it is fine for someone else to be loving, when I desire to cling to hate?  Or for someone to be generous and I hold on tightly to what I have?  When do I not make time to welcome in the outsider and prefer to remain comfortably inside?

Prayer:  God help me to see your presence throughout my day and help me to recognize and claim the ways that I fail you.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripture as a guide and not a weapon

Relationship

Faithfulness