Healing Part 2



Scripture: John 5:1-16
March 17, 2015

A certain man was there who had been sick for thirty-eight years.  When Jesus saw him lying there, knowing that he had already been there a long time, he asked him, “Don’t you want to get well?” John 5:5-6

Healing can be a tricky thing.  I find that we tend to go to God and tell God how we want to be healed and we pray for that outcome.  The whole concept of God being able to heal us has been muddied by people that proclaim that God can and will fully heal those who are ill if they have enough faith.

When that doesn’t happen it brings about much deeper distress in the person who is ill.  

I have found that my own state of mental happiness does affect how I feel in a given day.  And that stress and unhappiness can bring about physical pain in my life.  It is in those instances that I fully trust in God’s healing power in my life, if I am able to give over to God those things that I cling so tightly to, that I can actually feel better.

And it is in that light that I can totally relate to the man who had been ill for 38 years.  He says that every time the water was troubled he would get up to enter the waters to receive healing but allowed the presence of others prevent him from following through.  I know that I like to hold onto the things that bring me pain, it is hard to let go and I will make a whole list of excuses for why I need to stay in the state that I am in.  Part of it is denial; part of it is feeling comfortable with the status quo. 

God through Christ offers us new life each and every day!

Prayer: God help me to let go of the things in my life that I cling so tightly to that are actually are harming me.  Heal me in your way and bring me peace with your decision.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripture as a guide and not a weapon

Relationship

Faithfulness