God's law



Scripture: Matthew 5:17-20
March 11, 2015

“Don’t even begin to think that I have come to do away with the Law and the Prophets. I haven’t come to do away with them but to fulfill them.” Matthew 5:17

Do you perceive God’s law as a requirement or as a blessing?

I know that my kids push hard at times at the boundaries that my husband and I put into place.  They play with the concept of not doing their homework (I know I did the same thing, after all after a long day at school who wants to come home and do more school work?).  

Our kids might push hard against the boundaries but are quick to notice if we don’t make the other child live by the house rules.
We want people to treat us fairly but we might not want to extend the same grace to others.

God’s law grounds us in community, where some of us might be doing okay and where some of us might be struggling.  God’s law grounds us in a place where we can be supported by one another and not in a place where we have to live in fear.
God in Christ doesn’t abolish the law but offers us freedom to live fully in God’s grace with one another.

Prayer:  God thank you for caring so much for us that you have created parameters for us to live by that create communities of grace and care.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace