A community of forgiveness



Scripture: John 8:1-11
March 23, 2015

They continued to question him, so he stood up and replied, “Whoever hasn’t sinned should throw the first stone.”  John 8:7

This passage dishes up a big heaping serving of humility.  How often do we notice the sins of others while ignoring our own?  What it comes down to fundamentally is our neglect to see that we participate in community and that sin doesn’t happen in isolation.  We are our brother and sister’s keeper. 

Our focus should first and foremost be on how we bring about healing and support to others and how we don’t.  Repentance and forgiveness begins with ourselves and then flows into our community.

When I was a kid, we had a printed community confession in our worship bulletins and I always wondered why I had to ask forgiveness for things I hadn’t done.  It wasn’t until I was much older that I realized that part of being part of a community of faith meant that I stand in solidarity with my brothers and sisters in Christ in our short comings, in our sins.  We work together to mend the places we have broken and we together embrace the forgiveness that God gives to us and that can be abundant in community.

Prayer:  God help me to see the ways in which I have contributed to the brokenness of our world.  I seek your forgiveness.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace