What comes out of our mouths



Scripture: Mark 7:14-23
February 11, 2015

“Nothing outside of a person can enter and contaminate a person in God’s sight; rather, the things that come out of a person contaminate the person.” Mark 7:15

This morning as I took my daughter to school she wondered out loud “why are some people so rude?” 
We had a short conversation about it, but it has got me thinking especially in light of the scripture for today.  I told her that it takes effort to be nice. 
We have to make the choice to treat people the well.  And that can be hard especially if we are having a hard day, or feel like we are not being heard, or are facing great change in our lives that leaves us feeling out of control, or are stressed because of the demands of work or school. 
I find myself using the excuse that I had a bad day to justify my rude actions toward my family and at the end of the day it really isn’t a good excuse at all.  It is ultimately a reflection of the state of my spirit.
When I allow the forces of my day to change who I am and how I project the hope and love of God, I have in a way failed my calling to follow Christ.
Christ calls us to set our self aside so we can take on Christ and that is hard.  I think often we downplay the difficulty in following Christ.  It is a commitment that is one we renew throughout our day when we choose to set our focus on God and not on the variety of things that can detract us from following.
Prayer: God in this moment allow me to breathe deeply your spirit, to center myself upon your presence in my life, and to remember that I am one of your beloved children.  May your presence guide my words and attitudes throughout my day.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace