The Goodness of God



Scripture: Matthew 7:7-12
February 26, 2015

I find myself pushing hard against this passage of scripture.  I can remember singing its words in choir when I was a child and I seem to have left it there.  Maybe it is because as a pastor I have had the privilege of sitting with people as they have faced enormous challenges in life, where they have sat in the darkness and found deep chasms of void.  I have sat with people who earnestly prayed to find a way forward and all they could see were obstacles blocking a way out.

They have knocked, they have prayed and they have waited.

I push against the passage because I believe that there are things in life that we experience that are beyond explanation.  And that ultimately God isn’t a mystery to be solved or the answer to a question.  So much of our faith happens in our head and when it resides there it becomes very limited. 
What I do cling to in the passage is an understanding that God is good.  Infinitely more good than any of us can imagine.  We are all but a mere reflection of that goodness on our best days. 

Prayer:  God I believe, help me in my unbelief.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace