Taking it in



Scripture: Mark 9:2-9
February 17, 2015

Six days later Jesus took Peter, James and John, and brought them to the top of a very high mountain where they were alone.  He was transformed in front of them.  Mark 9:2-3

Whenever I read this passage I am always drawn to Peter, because he is so human in this passage.  Jesus is being transformed right before his eyes; his clothes are whiter than white (as I like to say super-de-duperity white!) and his response?  To build something.  Not jaw dropping awe, no silence, no …

Peter is all like, “hey let’s build something, let’s do something.  We can use our hands and make something” (all the while not stopping to take in what is happening right before his eyes.)

How often do we respond to God’s movement this way?

The sad reality is that God has to interrupt Peter and his grand design conversation about building, I imagine God clearing God’s throat in an awkward way and then saying “hum, hhumm, This is my Son, whom I dearly love.  Listen to him!” 
Listen Peter, stop talking, stop trying and create something from the past (booths or tents were what you would make for a prophet) but just take the moment in.  Just watch and listen Peter.  Allow your spirit to be fed by the glory of Jesus.  This isn’t something you are going to experience again; this is meant to feed you for the journey ahead.

Church can be so good at doing things.  Someone is hungry?  Let’s feed them.  Someone needs something moved?  Let’s move it!  But there are times when what we are called to do is simply to be present, to experience God not through our actions or our self initiated activities but by opening ourselves to what God is doing that is new.

Prayer:  God I pray that I can notice Your bold interruptions in my day so I can be humble enough to notice all of the amazing things You do each and every day.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

Grace

The Lost: A story about the older son