Take up your cross



Luke 9:22-25
February 19, 2015
Jesus said to everyone, “All who want to come after me must say no to themselves, take up their cross daily, and follow me.” Luke 9:23

This passage of scripture is one of the most pivotal passages in the gospels. 

It is repeated over and over again. 
In order to follow me you have to leave your old life behind,
your life that centered upon your own desires and wants,
your life that believed in the false claims of our world that in order to find happiness you have to leave others behind in the dust,
that you are not responsible for anyone other than yourself,
that happiness and contentment is a direct result of your efforts,
that there isn’t enough to go around so grab what you can when you can,
that you are capable of earning God’s favor by your good works,
and it goes on. 

Just spend some time watching television ads
and you’ll quickly see what I’m speaking about. 
It comes down to this,
your life is lacking something and you can buy your way out.

Instead Jesus says take up your cross (the symbol of the Roman Empire’s ultimate power to end life) and follow me.

Take up whatever it is that works to destroy life and subvert its meaning. 
While I often see this passage as one that is hard to swallow, it is meant to be words that offer us freedom.  Freedom to enter into the Kingdom that Jesus announced, where we meet God in our brokenness and find healing.  Where we find true life that is full and abundant.

Prayer:  God help me to let go of the things that I cling to that are not life giving.  Give me the courage to let go so I can embrace what it is your offering me today.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

Grace

The Lost: A story about the older son