Reconciliation



Scripture: Matthew 5:21-26
February 27, 2015

Therefore, if you bring your gift to the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift at the altar and go.  First make things right with your brother or sister and then come back to offer your gift.  Matthew 5:23-24

As a child part of this passage must have been read at some point during our communion liturgy.  I can remember it set chills down my back because I had been in a heated argument with my brother on the way to church.

In fact I can’t remember a Sunday morning when we weren’t annoying each other.  So as I sat in church wanting desperately to receive communion, I wondered if I could.

Now I realize that this memory is somewhat distorted because the passage isn’t about communion but about giving an offering (and most likely wasn’t read before communion was served), but what it did to my young mind is plant the seed that this religion thing that we were part of every Sunday was not just about me and God.  It was about me and God and everyone else present and beyond the walls of the church. 

Reconciliation is part of our call.  And that is hard work, to be vulnerable and open and honest about the ways we have harmed one another and to be willing to move forward in a new way.

Prayer:  God help me to be an agent of your reconciling love in our world.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripture as a guide and not a weapon

Relationship

Faithfulness