I'm Sorry



Scripture: Isaiah 58:9-14
February 21, 2015

The LORD will guide you continually and provide for you, even in parched places.  Isaiah 58:11

It can be hard for me to say I’m sorry.

With two kids and a husband, I find that on certain days, I’m never at a loss for finding opportunities to either apologize or to intervene in a much needed apology between the kids.

The mantra in our house is “I’m sorry” means I’m really going to try and not do that again to you.  It is grounded in a firm belief that we are capable of change and through God’s help we can choose to react differently to life’s challenges the next time a similar instance happens.

Saying I’m sorry is a form of repentance.  It is the heart of the season of Lent.  It is a time when as a community we are given the gift of embracing our God who calls us to repentance and then leads us forward.

This passage from Isaiah shows us that God is concerned for the fragile society that is built upon what God values, love, mercy, compassion and forgiveness.  It is a society that must look out for those on the margins and those who are the most vulnerable because after all God saved the Hebrews in their hour of great need when they were slaves in Egypt.  

When we turn to God (repent) God offers us forgiveness and a way forward.  God promises to be like a spring of fresh water in our lives that will never run out. 

Prayer:  God I take time to list the ways that I have sinned against you and my neighbor …  free me from the guilt of my past mistakes and show me a new way forward.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace