Forgiveness



Scripture: Matthew 6:7-14
February 24, 2015

Forgive us for the ways we have wronged you, just as we also forgive those who have wronged us.  Matthew 6:12

Forgiveness can be hard to practice.

How often do I find myself wanting to remind the person that wronged me that they hurt me?  Maybe it comes in subtle or not so subtle ways where they are reminded for the umpteenth time that they did in fact hurt me.

I learned early on in my marriage that granting forgiveness means that I won’t bring it up again.

We don’t truly forgive someone else if we keep a tally sheet of all of the wrongs they have committed against us so that the next time they do something they aren’t supposed to we can remind them of how many times they have failed us in the past.

True forgiveness means letting go. 

Because if we don’t we allow the past pain and hurt to harden our hearts.  In effect we allow what they did to us to have power over us.

Forgiveness can be offered even when restoration of a relationship shouldn’t be offered.  They are separate and often times we treat them the same way. 

A forgiving heart is a key component of our Christian call.  It frees us to receive the forgiveness that God offers to us and for us not to live under the burden of past wrongs.

Prayer:  God help me to forgive others so I can freely receive the forgiveness you are offering me.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

Faithfulness

Grace