Receiving



Scripture: Mark 4:1-20
January 28, 2015

“Listen to this!” Mark 4:3

I realized some time ago that my spiritual, emotional and mental state have everything to do with whether or not I hear God speaking in my life.
We can allow so much noise to enter into our day that we consider it to be normative.  And what I find is that through all of that internal and external noise that I can’t hear God. 
Have you ever prayed where you do all the talking?  It reminds me of conversations where someone just needs to talk out their problems but doesn’t take the time to listen.  Do you know anyone like that?  Someone who is just looking for affirmation?
While God is always there but we often put up barriers so we can’t hear God’s response.
Jesus teaches us in today’s parable that we are like different types of soil.  Depending on how we prepare ourselves to receive God’s word we may or may not hear it and allow it to change us. 
Prayer:  God help me to make time today to hear your voice, to take time away from the distractions of the day and read slowly over the words of scripture.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace