Home By Another Way

Scripture: Matthew 2:1-12

Because they were warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they went back to their own country by another route. (Matthew 2:12)

The three wise men must have been on a pilgrimage.
Or at least I like to think that they were.
Perhaps.
(Because since I was in college I have dreamed 
of going on a walking pilgrimage, I am always looking
for pilgrimage passages in scripture.)
To take a month to travel the country side with other pilgrims, 
seeking God's voice and direction for my life.
I have yet to go.  

Having children has kept me in my late twenties 
and thirties (and now early forties) from fulfilling that dream.

So I find myself resonating with the wise men.
How did they notice the rising of the star?

They must have been earnestly seeking for a sign from God 
and once they found it 
they were off on a long journey.

Once they find Jesus and his family they present him with gifts.  
Isn't that the purpose of a pilgrimage after all?
To learn through your journey who God is calling you to be 
and then responding by offering the gift that God 
has blessed you with to others?

The best part of the passage for me comes at the end.
They go home by another way.
No encounter with God will leave you unchanged.
You forever walk forward in another way.
Seeing the world differently.
Experiencing God differently.

Prayer: God on this day of Epiphany, we seek your presence.  In the steps we take throughout our day may we be open to your guiding light and may our encounter with you forever change us.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripture as a guide and not a weapon

Relationship

Faithfulness