Follow Me



January 17, 2015
Scripture: Mark 2:13-17

Jesus said to him, “Follow me.”  Levi got up and followed him. (Mark 2:14)

Its two words, follow me. 
“Follow me” and with that invitation Levi’s life is forever changed. 
Follow me.  It seems pretty simple, doesn’t it?  Get up and follow.
There is intentional action grounding this request.  Levi was a tax collector for the Roman state which oppressed the Jewish people and Jesus offers to Levi a new direction for his life. 

Follow me.  And the interesting thing is that Jesus doesn’t guide him away from his current life but rather he enters into Levi’s world.  He goes to his house to meet with his co-workers and friends, those on the outside of acceptable religious practice. 

Jesus not only invites us to follow, but also everyone we encounter in a given day.  Notice Jesus doesn’t take up shop in one location and expect people to come to him, no he is out in the community extending the invitation.

Are you intentionally following Jesus?

Prayer:  God help me to see the presence of Christ in everyone I encounter today.  Those on the highway that I pass by, those on the sidewalks, and in the grocery store and in my seeking your presence be drawn closer to you.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripture as a guide and not a weapon

Relationship

Faithfulness