Shalom



December 10, 2014
Shalom.   By Rev. Leslie Dalstra
Scripture:  Isaiah 6:1-13
“Mourn for me; I’m ruined! I’m a man with unclean lips, and I live among people with unclean lips. Yet I’ve seen the king, the LORD of heavenly forces!” Isaiah 6:5

In the year that King Uzziah died, Judah was in turmoil.  Isaiah is called to be a prophet and his response is “Mourn for me; I’m ruined!  I’m a man with unclean lips, and I live among people with unclean lips.  Yet I’ve seen the king, the LORD of heavenly forces!”  He puts into words the paradox of the faithful, which is that oftentimes we fail God.

Peace or shalom, in the biblical sense is more than just getting along; it is holistic peace.  It is a peace that stretches into the community and transforms it.  Isaiah reminds us that even though we experience the presence of God we still harm one another with our words and actions and we turn a deaf ear to the cries of those who are in great need.

Advent is a time to re-center our lives on God; to be honest with ourselves where we have fallen short and to work toward building peace in our community.

Prayer: God of shalom we pray for your presence to fill our lives and spill out into our neighborhoods.  May we set our eyes on you this day and see your presence in every person and situation we find ourselves in.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace