Prepare the Way



December 19, 2014

Prepare the Way.  By Rev. Leslie Dalstra

Scripture:  Matthew 11:2-10

“Are you the one who is to come, or should we look for another?” Matthew 11:3

John the Baptist is in prison and he wants to know if Jesus is the one they were preparing to receive.  So he sends word to Jesus’ disciples “are you the one who is to come, or should we look for another?”

We have similar questions.  While as Christians we might seem to have a certain level of certainty in our belief system, we still have moments of questions; we still have moments of doubt and wonder when things just don’t line up.

We also take time to wonder what exactly God is calling us to do, in just about every situation we find ourselves in.  And so we enter into this question with John and ask how is God asking me to respond in any given situation?

The answer that Jesus gives us provides parameters for us.  He is present and working in situations where there is illness and great need.  And we are called to be there too.  That is where we find Jesus, in the places on the margins. 
As we prepare this Advent, we are called to be present with those that society often overlooks.  That is where we will find the presence of Christ.

Prayer:  God call me out of my comfort so that I can be transformed.  Open my eyes to my own deep needs that can only be met when I am with those on the margins.  May I find healing as I participate in helping to mend a fragmented world.   Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

Grace

The Lost: A story about the older son