Not My Will



December 15, 2014

Not My Will.  By Jacalyn Epperson

Scripture: Luke 22: 39-53

“Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” Luke 22: 42


I’m sure we have all been there; praying to God for a change in our circumstances-wishing that things were different. Hoping the path He has laid before us would suddenly become smooth. We are born into a world of choices and God gave us the ability to think for ourselves. Jesus knows as he prays on the Mount of Olives that the next and final chapter of his physical journey on Earth will be wrought with pain and suffering and he admits that it is not his will. He would prefer his Father take that burden from him. But in the anxious waiting, he reaffirms his faith in God’s plan. It is God’s will he is faithful in. 

The Advent time of waiting each year centers us in the power of waiting. We wait throughout the year for many different things; you may be waiting for something in your life right now. Having faith in God doesn’t mean you have to give up on all of your own desires. He wants you to pray and be in relationship with Him so you can share those desires with Him. But in sharing, be faithful that He will provide what He knows to be best. Elisabeth Elliot writes: Sometimes a father’s answer to his child is no. If God, like the father, denies us what we want now, it is in order to give us some far better thing later on. The will of God, we can rest assured, is invariably a better thing, but our having asked for what we wanted now provides the occasion for us to say, “Nevertheless, not my will but thine be done.”

Prayer:  Heavenly Father, as  I wait for the birth of Your son Jesus, I am reminded of the many periods of waiting that have and will come throughout my life. There will be times when I don’t see the purpose of the path you have laid before me, but I pray for the strength to follow one step at a time; Your will be done. I pray for the courage and faithfulness to take this journey with You, knowing that I will be a stronger and better person at the end of each experience we have together. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scripture as a guide and not a weapon

Relationship

Faithfulness