Make His Paths Straight



December 17, 2014
Make His Paths Straight.  By Rev. Leslie Dalstra
Scripture: Mark 1:1-8
“Look, I am sending my messenger before you.  He will prepare your way, a voice shouting in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way for the Lord; make his paths straight.’ ” Mark 1:2b-3

John the Baptist echoes the words of the prophet Isaiah in his actions.  He is the one on the scene preparing the people to be ready to receive Jesus.  His actions remind me of those people that worked hard to make sure that I was ready for the next step in my life.  I think about the teachers and mentors that took time to make sure I learned the basics and was able to create a foundation to build my life upon.

I have been speaking with our core leadership of our church about the process and purpose behind our ministries.  Our process always should be centered upon developing a deeper connection with God through Christian community. We are called to be like John the Baptist, helping to take away the road blocks that make the path before us hard to overcome.  

In turn, we are to take our focus outside of the walls in which we do ministry in and look to our community with a discerning eye to see where it is that the paths need straightening.  Where are there systems in place that allow some an advantage?  Am I actively participating in them?  

In order to straighten the path, John encourages those who come to him to acknowledge their sin and to seek God’s forgiveness. 
Advent is a time of preparation and during this time we are called to have repentant hearts.  Ready and willing to turn once again to God so that we can actively participate in receiving God’s presence in our lives.  

Prayer: God help us to hear your voice clearly.  May we have repentant hearts ready to receive your presence in our lives.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace