Are you listening?



December 2, 2014
Are you listening? By Carol Walters
Scripture: Luke 20:9-18
“Then the owner of the vineyard said, ‘What shall I do? I will send my beloved son; it may be they will respect him.’ ” Luke 20:13
How often do we hear and yet fail to listen?
·       A child or spouse with exciting news that interrupts our favorite pastime
·       A friend’s advice inconsistent with our own opinion on the matter
·       A sincere compliment lightly dismissed
·       Someone’s expressed need to which we fail to respond
I make the day-to-day decisions of my life efficiently. But the “big” issues with longer-range or greater life import are too often put off for another day.  How is it, I wonder, during this season of preparation and waiting, that I hear the questions but fail to listen for the answers- especially, when it may not be just a servant of God, but His Son, Jesus, the beloved One, who is trying to be heard?  Would life not be more full if we faithfully sought His guidance in the matters of life that otherwise stymie our progress?
Prayer:  Loving God, let me be different than the tenants in today’s parable, who cast Jesus out at a crucial point in their lives. Help me remember that it is you who send Him to me after I have failed to listen to everyone else you sent.  Lead me, through prayer, to rely more fully in the coming year on His strong foundation, thereby fulfilling His hope for my life and saving me from the crushing weight of indecision. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace