My beloved Cardinals

Today I am experiencing a great variety of emotions.
Today is the day that I cannot turn on the radio without hearing how the Red Soxs won the World Series.
And while I am excited for Boston and their celebration, I am sad for what could have been for my home team.
I love the Cardinals.  And I am not sure why I feel that way.
Most people who come from St. Louis do and this love runs deep in our blood.
It is part of our DNA.
I think in part because St. Louis can be such a divided city in so many ways.
When we meet someone from St. Louis the first question we ask is "what school did you go to?"  And it wasn't until after college that I learned that when people from other cities ask that they are asking about the college you attended.  Not for us St. Louisans.  We are asking about your high school.
And we take great pride in the high school we attended.
My sister gave my son a Kirkwood Pioneer t-shirt and I make sure that he wears it with pride!
The rivalries run deep and maybe that is why we all love the Cardinals so much, it is one thing that can unify us all.
So we watch the post season together in October (because that is what the Cardinals do in October).  And we cheer, sometimes obnoxiously in our family rooms ( I wonder what my neighbors think is going on in my house) and we hope for the best and often times we win.

Just not this time.

But I have to say I am so grateful.
Home didn't seem so far away this fall, when I could see the arch on t.v.
When I could see fans that live in my hometown on t.v.
When I could hear the announcer say, "see you on Sunday in St. Louis."

So I say with a mixture of gratitude and sadness "thank you Cardinals Nation for another amazing year!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

Grace

The Lost: A story about the older son