Gratitude

It never ceases to amaze me
how my best laid plans for the morning
can be overturned by a grumpy,
ADHD son.
For about two months we had pretty smooth mornings,
not ideal in any stretch of the imagination, but smooth.
You see with a child like Harry, you have to be constantly encouraging,
constantly reminding,
constantly watching
because he can get lost in his play with Legos or army men
as the minutes fly by and when you try to redirect his energy and effort
WW III can be unleashed without any warning.
It is probably the same for every child,
it is just exasperated with a child with his special needs.
Just when I thought I had a handle on
not sweating the small stuff,
this morning it sort of blew up in my face.

So as I was driving to the church this morning,
 with some sadness in my heart,
I thought back to worship on Sunday.
Harry had this crazy hair,
that was sort of sticking up in every direction,
thanks to the thickness of it and the length of it.
He had on an outfit that you would wear to the gym, one of his favorites.
Right before worship he overheard me asking who the acolytes were for the day.
We didn't have anyone picked out and he exuberantly said,
"Can I do it mommy, please!!!!????"
So I agreed and he and another child from our church
carried the light of God into our sanctuary,
ceremonially marking the beginning of our worship service.
The best part was at the end of service
as we were singing our final song,
Harry came bounding up the stairs
(without shoes on)
to take the light of God out of the sanctuary,
reminding us that God's light is out in the world.
He was so excited to be part of the service,
to be able to make a contribution.

And as I thought about that,
I remember back in the day,
when I was old enough to acolyte in my home church,
 it was a totally different story.
We were to march in at a certain predetermined pace.
Our actions were to be as precise as a soldier's
and there was NO room for errors.
The fear of God was so strongly placed in our actions
that I did not last as an acolyte.
The anxiety over took me and there was
no joy in it at all.

I am so grateful to be part of a congregation
 that appreciates the presence and participation of our children,
 just as they are,
shoeless at times
and definitely joyful.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Grace