Exhausted before it even begins

I thought maybe I was just tired from life in general, but then I read my friend David Roger's blog and realized that it is probably more than that.  The whole season of Christmas makes me tired.  And I think it is because I often feel pulled in so many directions between the secular and the sacred of the season. There is just so much to do in an already hectic very full life.  I really don't' want to go through the motions of the season exhausted and more honestly I don't just want to go through the motions.

I suppose part of the reality is that our preparation for the birth of Christ will ultimately be what we allow it to be.  If we place our expectations super high, then we have a greater chance of being disappointed when the day finally arrives.  I suppose what I struggle with is this idea that we somehow make Christmas happen, with our shopping, our decorating, our baking, our parties, our receiving of gifts.  But when it comes down to it, the birth of Christ, the moment of God becoming flesh is not of our own doing.  It is a gift given to us apart from anything we can do to make it happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying the psalms with gratitude

The radical act of Communion

Those who walk in darkness